Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Mabinogion, False Unicorn, Frankincense, Troy

It’s been a misty, wet week but at least we’ve got a turkey in the fridge ready for Thanksgiving tomorrow, and I did manage to get a batch of writing and research done. My novel research took me from Apuleius’ The Golden Ass to the medieval Mabinogion to a revisitation of The Homeric Hymn to Demeter (which I studied at university). I also learnt all about The Akashic records and some super names of herbs of which I was only half familiar eg False Unicorn, Cat’s Foot, Shepherd’s Purse.
For a travel magazine assignment, I also looked into Omani Frankincense. Oman was at the center of Arabia’s famous frankincense trade. This aromatic resin is now mainly used in aromatherapy and perfumery, but in the ancient world it was more important than gold. Every major civilization bought frankincense from the region, Omani frankincense being the best in the world. It was among the three gifts the Magi bought the infant Jesus, as everyone knows.
Other notes: I’m eager to read Peter Ackroyd’s new novel The Fall of Troy, which was favorably reviewed in last week’s New York Times Book Review. The novel fictionalizes the story of the obsessive 19th-century archaeologist Heinrich Schliemann.
I also picked up the free women's magazine "Skirt" in Blockbusters, of all places, and was pleasantly surprised. It's published in a few cities around the US and it was packed full of uplifting pieces - many of them very thoughtful and surprising. Perfect for snuggling up with in bed on a weeknight, after a bubble bath. You can also read it online: http://www.skirt.com.
Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: